190 W Queen St
98N Armistead Ave
Hampton, VA 23669
We thank God for the small group of newly freed slaves who gathered to praise God and worship Him as freed men. This group, originally members of the First Baptist Church in Williamsburg, Virginia, organized themselves into a church to be known as Second Baptist Church; Reverend John Smith was named the first pastor, he died in 1881.
This small congregation moved from the courthouse to Butler School, later named Whittier School on the Hampton Institute campus, then subsequently to Shield's Tract. Pastor Smith advised the congregation to purchase land in the main district of Hampton to build a church. Thus, in 1875 a new church was constructed at a cost of $2,800 - a great accomplishment for people of color in those early days.
This group organized into a Baptist Church to become known as the Second Baptist Church. The name of the Church was later changed to Queen Street Baptist Church upon which it is located. The church has experienced continuous spiritual progress under the leadership of Reverend John Smith (1865-1881), Ebenezer Byrd (1881-1883), Thomas H. Shorts (1883-1917), J.A. Brown (1918-1929), Berryman H. Johnson (1929-1934), George S. Russell (1935-1966), Calvin L. Jones (1966-1970), Omie L. Holiday (1971-1975) and Marcus A. Pierce (1978-1988). On June 9, 1991 the Reverend Anderson W. Clary, Jr. was installed as the tenth pastor and continues to serve the flock untiringly.