Release Date: June 29,2018
Mural Artists Wanted
Downtown Hampton Mural Program 2018
CALL TO ARTISTS
Downtown Hampton Development Partnership (DHDP) is happy to announce the launch of a new mural program aimed at improving the aesthetic value of the downtown. For the first year of the program, DHDP is seeking artists to design and install new murals on two select private properties in Downtown Hampton. Artists are encouraged to submit their application along with their resume showing mural experience and samples of previous works to enter into the selection process. Selected artists may receive up to $10,000.00 as a stipend to complete each mural; amount awarded will be based on size, medium and proposed artwork. This amount will include labor, materials, and design fees.
Application and Selection Process For Each Mural:
For each property a selection committee comprised of DHDP members, arts community members and affected property owner will review the applications and determine a finalist to enter into the design and installation phase of the program. Selected muralist will be asked to create a budget for their project, craft their mural design, and outline a timetable for project completion. Final designs will be approved by the selection for each mural location. We reserve the right to reject all entries.
Eligible Artist For Each Property:
- Artists must be United States residents and 21 years or older
- Selected artists will be required to complete a federal 1099 tax form before any payment can begin
- The artist selected to participate in this program will be contracted to design and install (1) mural to the assigned property.
- Payments will be received in three installments including:
- 1/3 upon jury acceptance of final designs, budgets, and timelines
- 1/3 during the installation
- 1/3 will be paid upon completion of each mural, as accepted by the property owner and selection committee
- Artists fees must be included in the project costs
- All designs and consent to reproduce artwork will be owned by the DHDP
- The final artwork will be owned by the owner of the physical property hosting the installation
- Artists will agree to be available for mural repairs in case of graffiti or other damage to the artwork for a time period of 24 months.
- No additional copyright fees will be paid to artists
- Selected artists will be expected to complete the final design, budget, and timeline by July 30, 2018, and have the mural completed by October 31, 2018.
Locations & Themes
- Adams Building (Benton-Knight) (corner of King St & Settler’s Landing Road, side of building that faces Settlers Landing – Property owner would like a theme based on: Seafood, Hampton History, Aero Space (20’x127’, does not have to be entire length of building)
- Historic Post Office – 132 East Queens Way – Back of Building (12’x43’)
Email email@example.com with the subject MURAL APPLICATION and the following information: All applications must be submitted by July 30, 2018.
- Selected Mural Site
- Social Media pages/handles
- Artists' statement
- Reason for wanting this project
- Vision for this mural including a rough design (can be a sketch or rendering)
- Note: Artists should suggest best utilization of space including borders, use of space, etc.
- Type of medium to be used
- Resume (including listing of recent work)
- Attach examples of previous mural works as jpegs or .pdfs.
Details regarding applications:
- Content for mural designs must be appropriate for the general public and cannot include: profanity, nudity, gang symbols, political content, advertisements of any kind, nor anything that may be deemed inappropriate or offensive.
- Applicants should be prepared to make themselves available for potential questions and/or interviews with members of the selection committee
- Selected artists will be notified by the DHDP
- Room & board will not be included with this program. Artists selected from outside of Hampton Roads will have to provide their own accommodations
- Artist name, mural title, image of mural and any photographs or documentation of the process may be included in print or on websites and social media belonging to: DHDP and each organizations staff / members. Image credit with artist’s name will be encouraged but cannot be promised for print and online media.
- Artists must provide proof of insurance
Please contact Cyndi Masterstaff, at DHDP with any questions regarding this application by calling 757-727-1271 OR email: Cyndi@downtownhampton.com. Thank you!